Two days ago I woke up early and built myself a Longhorn Virtual PC. Unfortunately, the OS was practically unusable. It took 10-20 seconds just to paint the start menu. Well, it turns out I installed the wrong ISO. I used the CHK, or debug, build. Yesterday I built a new virtual PC using the FRE build and it works like a champ. Still not a racehorse by any stretch of the imagination (it is a dev preview after all), but definitely usable.
This morning I wrote my first Longhorn application, a simple exe that displays a windows with the text “Hello World”. It’s was written in straight C# though, as I had some problem getting my XAML version’s project file to work with MSBUILD. I’ll try to knock out something a little more impressive on the flight home.