Hibernate Problem

I run Arch Linux on my daily driver laptop. It’s the only Linux distro that I’ve had any real experience with and it’s been completely stable for me despite what people say. Part of that is probably because I run it with just i3wm a tiling window manager and no desktop environment. It also probably helps that I spend 99% of my time in either a terminal or a browser. I dunno, at any rate it’s been stable enough for me for the last two years or so.

Actually, I checked and it turns out that I’ve been running Arch on my x220 for two years and ten days. Sweet.

[2015-12-02 02:43] [PACMAN] Running 'pacman -r /mnt -Sy --cachedir=/mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg base base-devel'

Anyway, it’s been pretty stable for me until hibernate suddenly stopped working about two months ago. I did a quick google and found a possible solution in a github issue that in turn led to updated information on setting up delayed hibernation in the Arch Wiki. Unfortunately the change didn’t fix the problem. I got busy with other projects and procrastinated hoping that an update to systemd would just magically fix the problem. Suspend still worked so it wasn’t a huge deal.

Anyway, today I decided to take another look at the problem. It turns out the issue is that the original instructions on the Arch Wiki directed users to add an entry to the suspend.target file for the suspend to hibernate service:


I removed that line and performed a systemctl daemon-reload and hibernate seems to be working again.